Are you looking for some fun ways to celebrate New Year’s Eve with friends and family? Want to start your own New Year’s traditions? Here are 10 great things to do on New Years Eve!
1. Revisit the Year — So many amazing things happen in the course of a year. Gather up some top ten lists and see how many news stories, movies, hit songs, and celebrity gossip stories you and your friends can remember. You can find a bunch of great top 10 lists on the Time newsfeed.
2. Make Fondue — A fondue party is a super idea for New Year’s Eve. If you’re starting your celebration early you can begin with a cheese fondue, followed with a broth and fondue, and ending with a chocolate fondue extravaganza! Great for all ages and appetites.
3. Have a Movie Marathon — What were your favorite movies from the past year? Check out Netflix or movies on demand and snuggle in to revisit some of the greats from this year or classics from your childhood (popcorn and hot chocolate optional).
4. Make Some Noise — Kick off the new year right with all of the standard holiday cheer makers such as party horns, whistles, rattles, or good old pots and pans. A noisy parade around the house, or around the block, is a good way to get that New Year’s energy flowing.
5. Play Board Games — Another fun way to get everyone connected and involved in your New Year’s Eve festivities is to bust out some favorite games. Pictionary, Taboo, Charades, and Mexican Train are all classic games that work well for a group.
6. Have a Wine Tasting — If you are hosting an over 21 group this New Year’s Eve, ask everyone to bring an inexpensive wine wrapped in tin foil. Then do a blind wine tasting where everyone writes their opinions of each mystery wine. After sampling each variety, unwrap the bottles to see which came out as the favorites. This is a fun way to discover new wine favorites for the new year.
7. Make Some Resolutions — Take a moment to reflect on your goals for next year. Write them down and put them in a safe place to keep as a reminder to yourself. At the end of the year you can then take a look at your list and see how far you came in achieving your goals. Here is a printable resolutions sheet that can get you started.
8. Watch the Ball Drop — What would New Year’s Eve be without the New Year’s Rockin’ Eve celebration in New York City? Whether you watch the East Coast feed or stay awake for the West Coast celebration, this is a classic holiday tradition not to be missed.
9. Light It Up! — Sparklers and fireworks are another fun way to ring in the new year. Head outside to a safe place and light up the night!
10. Eat Some Beans — Ok, admittedly this one is a little strange, but it is a long held tradition, especially in the South, to eat some black eyed peas as your first food in the new year to bring luck and prosperity. It can’t hurt, right? Here is some information about this Southern New Year’s tradition.
However you choose to celebrate the start of the New Year, we wish you a safe, happy, and healthy holiday!