A black and white party theme is both elegant and fun.
Here are some of our favorite ideas to help you plan a terrific event!
Ever since Truman Capote’s famous Black and White Ball, held at New York City’s Plaza Hotel in 1966, the black and white party theme has become a favorite for people wanting to celebrate with style. Here’s how…
Great invitations can help set the tone for your event before it even starts. Invitations for a black and white theme party should reflect the level of formality you are hoping your event to have. Most importantly, they should, like everything else at this event, be black and white! Here are some ideas for making your own unique party invitations, as well as some suggestions for invitations that you can purchase:
Black and White Party Photo Invitations — Have a great photograph that ties into your party’s theme? Get a print made in black and white, then glue it onto the front of a fold over card (black or white cardstock). Write your party information inside.
White Cardstock with a Black Bow — You can make easy, elegant invitations for a black and white theme party by finding some plain white cardstock and printing out your party information on the front using a formal font style. Add an extra touch by punching two small holes at the top and attaching a black ribbon to your invitation.
Animal Print Invitations — Are you hoping for a more modern or less formal feel? Consider sending a black and white animal print invitations or using zebra or cow scrapbooking paper as the background for your invitation.
Don’t Forget the Dress Code! — Since this is a black and white party, don’t forget to suggest the attire for the evening on your invitations. Your guests will want to know how formal the party is, and also if you want them to wear black and/or white.
**General Invitation Tips** — If you choose to make your own invitations, don’t forget to include the date, location, and time of your party. It is also helpful to put the host’s name, RSVP by date, and either your phone number or email.
You can always find lots of great online party invitations with a free RSVP manager at Evite,
Here are some pretty invitations that would go well with this theme, available at Tiny Prints:
Dotted Line Invitations
Refined Splendor Invitations
Sleek Skyline Invitations
BLACK AND WHITE PARTY THEME DECORATIONS
Decorations for a black and white party can be as basic or as elaborate as your imagination and budget allow. An easy way to start off your decorating is to use black and white tableware, and also black and white balloons and streamers. Here are some more decorating ideas:
Lighting and Room Décor
- Make a white carpet runway leading into your party for a grand event entrance!
- Hang white twinkle lights or a mirror ball to throw some sparkle around your party.
- Use white and black gossamer swags around your party area.
- Make a dance floor by laying inexpensive floor tile in a checkerboard pattern.
- Hang black and white star balloons from the ceiling.
- Play a classic movie like Casablanca as a background setting to your party.
Black Trellis Tableware
Black Chevron Tableware
- Place white flowers such as roses, tulips, or calla lilies in black vases.
- Place white candles in black votives or candle holders and arrange these on mirrors to reflect their glow. For an extra touch, sprinkle black and white star confetti around the arrangement.
- Set out black and white photos of the party guests or the guest of honor in sleek black or silver frames.
- Turn a black top hat upside down and use it to hold a flower arrangement centerpiece. Add white gloves for an extra touch.
- Other black and white items that you might choose to use in decorating include sheet music, zebra print items, chess pieces, or dominoes.
BLACK AND WHITE PARTY THEME ACTIVITIES
How do you envision your party? When deciding on your evening’s activities, think of things that you enjoy doing at a party and then decide if these might be something you could incorporate into your event.
Music and Dancing — Music is an important part of any celebration, and since everyone is already dressed up, why not have some dancing! Consider hiring a DJ, or making a playlist prior to your party that you and your guests will enjoy. If you want to keep with the theme, here are a few songs to get you started:
A Black and White Music Playlist:
- Black or White – Michael Jackson
- Ebony and Ivory – Paul McCartney
- Back in Black – AC/DC
- White Wedding – Billy Idol
- Black Velvet – Alannah Miles
- White Liar – Miranda Lambert
- Paint it Black – The Rolling Stones
- White Flag – Dido
- Black Magic Woman – Santana
Black and White Photos — Taking photographs at your party is a great ice breaker and can also provide some fun memories of the event to either send to your guests or to keep in an album. Depending on your budget, you could rent a photo booth, hire a photographer, set up a photo backdrop area with a camera for guests to visit during the party, or place disposable cameras on the tables for people to use throughout the celebration.
Make an Interactive Photo Collage — Another fun idea involving black and white photos is to create a large photo collage of either the guest of honor or the party guests. Put out thought bubble stickers and pens, and encourage your guests to add words or funny sayings to the pictures on the collage.
Show Black and White Movies — During your party, you might choose to show some classic movies as a background scene setter, or as an activity set up in one area of your party. You might set out some popcorn and treats and have this be something for people who want a little quiet time.
Hand Out Sparklers — As your party winds down, hand out sparklers to your guests for a grand finale. You might attach a special tag that says something like, “Thanks for adding sparkle to my party!”
BLACK AND WHITE PARTY THEME FAVORS
Send your guests off with a special memory of the event. Here are some black and white party favor ideas:
- Black sunglasses
- Photos from the party
- Small Chinese take out boxes tied with a black ribbon and filled with small items such as black and white M&Ms or jelly beans
BLACK AND WHITE PARTY THEME FOOD AND DRINKS
If you want to take your theme all the way, you could even serve black and white food and drinks. Here are some of our favorite ideas:
- Basic sushi
- Caviar on white crackers
- Mini sandwiches served on rye marble bread
- Black and white candies such as M&Ms
- A chocolate fountain with white dipping items such as marshmallows, bananas, pound cake, Oreos, or coconut
* Here is a yummy recipe for Oreo Cheesecake
Mix Oreos and butter and press in a greased 9 inch spring form pan. In a large bowl, cream remaining ingredients until well blended. Pour into spring form pan. Break up 8 Oreos and drop on top of the batter. Bake 45 to 60 minutes at 300F. Don’t bake till it cracks. Cool to room temperature and chill in refrigerator before removing pan.
If your guests are not of age for alcoholic drinks, consider serving hot chocolate and white hot chocolate, or virgin versions of some of the drinks listed below. If your guests are of legal drinking age, consider serving one or two signature drinks at your event. Here are some popular choices:
- Martinis served with black olives and white onions
- Chocolate martinis
- Black and White Russians
- White Ladies
- Dewar’s Black Label Scotch
If you enjoyed these black and white party ideas, you might also enjoy these parties — Or follow us on Pinterest!