A fall harvest celebration is a great way to gather friends and enjoy the colors and flavors of autumn. Here are some of our favorite harvest party ideas to help you celebrate the season with style.
Harvest Party Ideas for Invitations
Set the tone for your party right from the start with great invitations. Here are some ideas for fun autumn themed invitations you can make at home:
Fall Leaf Invitations — Collect a few smaller sized leaves and paint them in different fall colors. Use these to stamp a border pattern onto a piece of cardstock. When the cards dry, write your party information in the center of the page.
Decorative Gourd Invitations — Gather some decorative gourds or small pumpkins with interesting stems. Write your party information on small tags and attach these with ribbon or raffia to the stem of each gourd. Hand deliver these to your guests’ front doors for a special invitation that can become a pretty fall table decoration.
Leaf Cut Out Invitations — Make these invitations by cutting yellow or green cardstock into the shape of a leaf. Then write your party information with a gold paint pen.
Here are some great options for wording on a harvest party invitation:
- Autumn is a second spring where every leaf is a flower. – Albert Camus
- Autumn, the year’s last, loveliest smile. – William Cullen Bryant
- By all these lovely tokens September days are here, with summer’s best of weather, and autumn’s best of cheer.” – Author Unknown
- October gave a party; The leaves by hundreds came – The Chestnuts, Oaks, and Maples, And leaves of every name. The Sunshine spread a carpet, And everything was grand, Miss Weather led the dancing, Professor Wind the band. – George Cooper
**General Invitation Tips** — If you choose to make your own invitations, don’t forget to include the date, location, and time of your event. It is also helpful to put the host’s name, RSVP by date, and either your phone number or email.
You can always find lots of great online party invitations with a free RSVP manager at Evite,
Here are some invitations available for purchase from our friends at Tiny Prints:
Autumnal Jumble Invitations
Falling Branches Invitations
Rustic Celebration Invitations
Harvest Party Ideas for Decorations
When decorating for your event, think fall colors such as yellow, orange, rust, gold, and brown, and use these throughout your decor in items such as tableware, streamers, and balloons. A great way to bring the spirit of the season to your party is to use colorful natural items associated with fall, such as:
- Decorative gourds
- Indian corn
- Cornstalks Straw
- baskets full of apples
- Hay bales
- Bittersweet or winterberry vines
- Colorful kale
Make Candy Corn Votives — Candles scented with the cozy fall aromas such as vanilla, apple, or pumpkin pie can be a great addition to your party’s décor. Make them look even prettier by seating them in glass vases, jars, or hurricane lamps filled part way with candy corn.
Use Hollow Pumpkins for Serving Bowls or Flower Vases — Clean out different sized pumpkins and use them as unique serving bowls. Line them with fabric or bandannas to use as bread bowls, fill them with ice to hold bottled beverages, or stick a pot of flowers inside for a fun fall centerpiece.
Set out a Fire Pit Area — If you have an outdoor fire pit or backyard fireplace, surround it with chairs or seats made from hay bales. Drape blanket throws over the seats for a cozy autumn bonfire.
Shopping Ideas for a Harvest Party Theme
Autumn Expresions Tableware
Fall Leaf Danglers
Autumn Leaf Garland
Fall Tissue Poms
Fall Party Crackers
Fall Leaves Centerpiece
Fall Harvest Party Activities
There are a number of great fall activities that can be tied in to a harvest party theme. You might consider making one of these the highlight of your event.
- Go apple picking
- Schedule a hay ride
- Roast marshmallows
- Attend a local football game
- Have a pumpkin carving contest
Here are a few harvest party ideas for games:
- Bob for apples
- Have wheelbarrow races
- Set out a variety of apples for an apple tasting
- Have a pumpkin roll relay
- Hang doughnuts with ribbon and have your guests have a no-hands doughnut eating contest
- Have potato sack races
Harvest Party Ideas for Food
A harvest party is all about comfort food. Here are some ideas for your party menu:
Snacks and Appetizers:
- Roasted pumpkin seeds
- A vegetable tray (Include fall favorites such as zucchini, squash, and carrots
- Sliced apples
- Pumpkin bread
- Chili and cornbread
- Vegetable soup or pumpkin soup (try serving this in pumpkin shell bowls)
- Sausages or bratwurst
- Baked potato bar (with a selection of toppings)
- Apple cider
- Hot chocolate
- Mulled wine
- Seasonal beer
- Pumpkin or apple pie
- Caramel apples
- Roasted marshmallows
- Bowls of candy corn or other candy
Hope you found some useful harvest party ideas on this page.
Enjoy the party!
If you enjoyed these harvest party ideas, you might also enjoy these parties: