When I was growing up, one of the best special desserts my mom liked to make was grasshopper pie. A delicious combination of mint, marshmallow, and chocolate, what’s not to love! This pie is related to a yummy green cocktail called the grasshopper. Because both of these treats are a pretty green color, I thought they would be just perfect for St. Patrick’s Day! Here are the recipes for making grasshopper pie and a grasshopper cocktail (along with a silly St. Patrick’s Day printable for you to download).
- 1 cup chocolate wafer cookies (approximately 20)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons melted butter
Follow directions on chocolate wafer cookie box for pie crust (or just buy a pre-made 9-inch chocolate cookie crumble pie crust)
- 1 package small marshmallows
- 1/4 cup milk
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup green crème de menthe
- 1/4 cup white crème de cacao
- Prepare pie crust so it is ready for filling.
- Melt and stir marshmallows over a double boiler. When they are cool, combine them with milk.
- Whip the heavy cream and fold into marshmallow mix.
- Add crème de menthe and crème de cacao to mixture.
- Fill crust with mixture until it is overflowing.
- Wrap pie in heavy foil and freeze.
- Take out frozen pie about 1/2 hour before serving.
- *Optional: Top with chocolate shavings, chocolate crumbles, and/or whip cream.
- 3/4 oz. green crème de menthe
- 3/4 oz. white crème de cacao
- 3/4 oz. light cream
Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.
Here is a funny leprechaun printable we made for you to liven up your bar area this St. Patrick’s Day!