Looking for a hot time? Build your next winter party around a bonfire. Whether you are planning a cozy night for two or inviting the neighborhood, here are some ideas for a blazing good time!
- Pick a spot for your party. It could be your own backyard, a local park, or a nearby beach. Check to see if you need to reserve a site. Review local ordinances for outdoor fire regulations. Make sure your bonfire area is free of debris and other hazards like dry brush and electrical sources.
- Check the weather forecast. A night with wind and rain will dampen the mood!
- Set the date.
Whether you phone your friends or send invitations make sure you tell them these important details:
- Dress warmly
- Bring a blanket and a camp chair
- Suggest or assign items to bring to share like marshmallow roasters, s’more supplies, food or beverages.
- Make a soup, stew or chili and reheat in a Dutch oven over the fire embers.
- Pre-cook baked potatoes in your oven. Wrap in tin foil and heat over the fire. Prepare fixings for a baked potato bar.
- Have an old fashioned hot dog roast.
- S’mores—need we say more.
Fireside Play List
(compiled by Real Simple Magazine)
Light My Fire, The Doors
Ring of Fire, Johnny Cash
She’s on Fire, Train
On Fire, Van Halen
Burning Down the House, Talking Heads
Eternal Flame, The Bangles
I’m on Fire, Bruce Springsteen
The Roof is on Fire, Bloodhound Gang