Celebrate Chinese New Year
with a fun decorative paper lantern craft!
In 2013 Chinese New Year falls this Sunday, February 10th. According to the Chinese zodiac, this year will celebrate the year of the snake, which is noted for steady progress and attention to detail. Why not put those characteristics to good use in completing this fun paper lantern craft activity!
- Red construction paper
- Gold glitter
- Fold paper in half lengthwise.
- Lay a ruler along the length of the paper on the open side and lightly draw a line across. (This will be where to stop cutting)
- Measure off spots at 3/4 inch intervals along the folded side of the paper and along the ruler line. Use a ruler to lightly connect the dots.
- Cut along your measured lines from the fold to the ruler line.
- Open your paper and make a solid line of glue along the two lengths of the paper and sprinkle glitter into the glue.
- Allow to dry.
- Glue the ends of your paper together so that the fold encircles the middle.
- Add a strip of constriction paper to the top to make a handle if desired.
- Hang your lanterns as fun decorations for your Chinese New Year celebration!
“Gung Hay Fat Choy!”